Some New News about Pakistan’s Pavilion at GITEX-2013 Dubai
Dubai: 21-10-2013 By: Zulfiqar Shah
Trade Development Authority of Pakistan (TDAP) in collaboration with Consulate of Pakistan, Dubai is organizing the participation of 12 leading Pakistani IT companies in the GITEX scheduled from 20 – 24 October, 2013 at Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC), Dubai. GITEX is the leading global IT industry event where professionals are involved in buying and selling products, services and equipment to see new ideas, innovation and to conduct direct business face to face.
- Pakistan is fast becoming the destination of choice for a significant number of international IT companies looking to relocate their operations offshore.
- Pakistani IT industry’s global share is estimated at US$2.8 billion.
- Pakistan is young country with skilled workforce of 110,000 English-speaking IT professionals- of which 24,000 are engaged in exports.
- Nearly 1500 companies. Two are listed on the Karachi Stock Exchange (KSE), 2 on the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotations (NASDAQ) and 1 on the Dubai International Financial Exchange (DIFX).
- Pakistan is offering nine Science and Technology Parks (STPs) with 700,000 square feet of state-of-the-art IT-enabled office space.
- Pakistan houses seven ‘Development Centers’ of multinational companies.
- 110 ISO 9001, 23 CMMi and 11 ISO 27001 certified companies.
- A strong telecom sector supports the IT industry’s development.
- The Government of Pakistan has provided a reliable IT infrastructure and its package of incentives have been instrumental in the IT industry’s development. These incentives include:
- Provision of low-rent Software Technology Parks (STPs), with fiber-optic connectivity, libraries and conference rooms.
- 100% ownership of equity allowed to investing foreign IT/ITeS companies.
- Income Tax exemption for IT companies till 2016.
- 100% repatriation of profits allowed to IT companies.
- Seven years’ tax holiday for venture capital funds.
- Minimum rate of 30% depreciation on computer equipment.
- The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has allowed banks to open Internet Merchant Accounts.
- Availability of instant, reliable and high-speed connectivity.
- Over 85% of telecommunication infrastructure is on fiber-optic cables.
- Internet access is available in over 2000 cities/towns across Pakistan.
- Reduction in cost of 2 Mbps connection to US$ 500 to 700 per month.
- Call centers can avail redundant backup connectivity through Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL)
Bilateral Trade in Information Technology
- Pakistan’s Global exports of Computer and information services is US$ 266 million
- Pakistan’s Exports of Computer and information services to United Arab Emirates amounts to US$ 16.8 million
- Pakistan’s Exports of Communications services to United Arab Emirates amounts to US$ 17.487 million
SOME SUCCESS STORIES
- Mr. Babar Ahmed whose Mindstorm Studios created Cricket Revolution™ – the first PC game produced by a Pakistani gaming outfit to sell in retail stores internationally – and recently launched the official game of the ICC WorldCup 2011;
- Two brothers Rizwan and Irfan Virk whose GameView Studios created the successful Tap franchise and was recently acquired by Japanese social gaming giant DeNA;
- Mr. Hasan Rizvi whose Pepper.PK made history by developing two top-ranking paid BlackBerryapplications at BlackBerry’s AppWorld store;
- Mr. Murad Akhtar who left Stanford and Silicon Valley to form Tintash, dedicated to creating innovative casual games designed for the iPhone, iPad, and Android platforms; or
- Mr. Umair Javed of TkXeL who prides himself in creating not one but two 100% “Made in Pakistan” mobile applications and gaming companies from a university lab in Lahore.
- In 1997, Bilal Hashmat founded CureMD – a New York – based company – to provide IT solutions to the growing US healthcare market. The first company in the world to offer cloud – based services to the healthcare industry, CureMD today is one of the top-ranked healthcare IT providers in the United States.
- Kubair A. Shirazee’s Ikonami Ltd. recently concluded an acquisition of its very successful suite of learning, competence, and performance management products focused on the UK healthcare industry by Radclie Publishing Ltd., whose parent company, Electric Word plc, a specialist information publisher focused on the healthcare vertical. With the product installed in 410 hospital trusts of the National Health Service (NHS), Ikonami Pakistan can pride itself on contribution to one of the largest healthcare providers in the world